The City, Accra derived its name from the Akan word “Nkran” meaning “army of ants”. It was believed that when the first inhabitants were migrating to their new location (now Accra), they were moving together like an army of ants and hence the name “Nkran”. The colonial English masters then begun calling it “Accra” since they could not pronounce the “Nkran” properly and has stayed till date. The City was founded by the Ga people (Ga-Adangbe, an ethnic group from the Greater Accra Plains) in the late 1400s, later it became a center for trade with the Portuguese, who built a fort in the town. In the 17th century it was the site of three European trading fortresses, which were all in British hands by 1871. Accra became the capital of the British colony of the Gold Coast (Ghana) in 1876 and was made the country’s capital in 1957 after independence; It still remains the capital of Ghana.
The City of Accra currently has a population of about 4 million with a total land surface area of 3,245km2, representing 1.4%. Despite its relatively small size compared to the other cities in Ghana, it is the most populated.